Publication date March 10, 2016. Posted in Success
Many people for some reason think that the ability to be a leader is given to a person from birth, but in fact it is not. Leaders are those people who have developed a set of qualities in themselves that is necessary in order to be what many are following. If desired, each person will be able to develop leadership qualities. If you also strive to become a leader, this article will help you. Consider 15 tips for developing leadership skills.
1. A true leader is able to control himself, therefore, does not allow emotions to dictate to him what to do. If you want to develop leadership skills, then first of all, engage in self-mastery. It will be difficult only at first, and then the ability to control your emotions will become a habit and will become the same natural action as breathing.
2. Punctuality is no less important quality for a leader; therefore, it is necessary to work on developing the time management skill. The ability to properly allocate your time will make you not only punctual, but also more effective, which is no less important for the leader.
3. Tell people only what you believe in yourself - this is the best exercise for developing the persuasion skill, a very important quality of each leader. You can only be convincing if you yourself are 100% convinced that you are saying.
4. Develop the ability to complete all planned tasks on time. A leader is a person who is first in everything, and if you procrastinate and put off important things for tomorrow, you will not only not succeed anywhere.
5. A good leader is a grateful person in the first place. And people become grateful when they learn to value everything that they receive. Develop this skill in yourself.
6. A leader who is able to lead people first of all should be interested in them. Interest is the antithesis of indifference and indifference. The leader is not shy to show that he is interested in his team and needs the people who surround him.
7. It is important for the leader to be able to correctly define goals - after all, this will help to direct his efforts and team energy towards their achievement. Work on the ability to set goals correctly, clearly define their time boundaries and see the final result.
8. A leader is not only a person who knows how to set goals correctly and direct people's efforts to implement them. A leader is first of all a person who first directs his energy to achieve goals and leads people in this matter.
9. The most important quality that distinguishes all leaders is a sense of responsibility. Develop it in yourself, because a good leader understands his responsibility for goals, results, and certainly for his team.
10. Leaders who can lead people are people who “burn” with their idea and charge everyone else with this enthusiasm. Therefore, it is important to develop a passion in yourself, to look for internal sources to fuel your inspiration and enthusiasm.
11. Good leaders are always motivated people who clearly know what and when they want. But, in addition to this, they are able to motivate other people. To learn how to do this, it is important to be able to understand the desires and needs of other people.
12. For a leader it is very important to be able to trust people and based on this, to delegate. Belief in yourself, breeds faith in other people - your team. Learn to trust yourself and people, and they will show amazing results.
13. To become a leader, it is necessary to defeat negative thinking once and for all. The leader sees perspective, opportunity and bright nuances in everything. It is important for the leader to develop positive thinking.
14. An indispensable quality for a leader is perseverance. In order to give good results, it is not necessary to have favorable conditions - this is not a decisive factor. But, surely great results will be shown by the person who did not stop, despite the presence of numerous obstacles.
15. A leader is always open to people and strives to convey his experience as much as possible. Therefore, learn to communicate and be open to people, to convey to them the most valuable that you have - knowledge and experience.
Step 1 - set goals
First of all, you need to learn to clearly and clearly see the goals in front of you and constantly strive to achieve them. Start small. Just set yourself some easy task and get it done. And even if at first it will not be global goals at all - it's okay, because we are learning.
The fact of working on oneself is important here. Setting goals and achieving them should become a habit. Having achieved the result, fix it in a notebook. And read out your victories daily, this will give you an incentive to move on. When it starts to work out, you will feel the need to continue working - your appetite comes with eating.
So an example. In the evening, you set a goal to wake up tomorrow on the alarm clock and go for a run. Before the upcoming conversation with the authorities, you firmly decide that your task is to clearly state the essence of the matter, and not mumble something unintelligible. Going to a friend’s birthday, you set out to get up during the feast and make a beautiful toast with a cheerful voice. And do everything unconditionally.
Step 2 - Become an Enthusiast
The next step is enthusiasm. It would seem impossible to learn this quality, but, nevertheless, there is a way out. Starting today, you stop complaining to others about anything. Get rid of it like a bad habit. People shun losers, so when communicating with them, let them know that everything is fine with you. If some kind of trouble occurred, tell us about it with humor. Please note: the people you respect, most likely, do just that. To make your task easier, watch more humorous programs. People looking at life with humor have a lot to learn.
For example, deciding to tell friends or colleagues about how the neighbors flooded you, the seller cheated, or about how you, while listening to music in your country house, planted the battery of your car, tell it in a comic manner. Otherwise, refrain from such a story. When sharing positive news, strive to do this as often as possible, because by doing this you will inspire enthusiasm in your interlocutors. Soon after you take this as your rule, those around you will be sure that friendship with you is not a burden, but a pleasure.
Step 3 - Become a Hero
The third point is decent behavior in extreme situations. In order to behave with dignity in such situations, you need to get used to them. This will help close acquaintance with extreme sports: skiing, boxing (if you are a man), jet skiing. What about skydiving? This is for the most desperate. In principle, even horseback riding or ice skating (which is accessible to most people) gives a little thrill.
Extreme situations are different, so you need to always be prepared for the unexpected, which in itself is quite difficult. However, taking such a position as a given, you will take a decisive step on the path to leadership.
Step 4 - adapt
Another feature of the leader is that he knows how to quickly adapt to changing conditions and move on, no matter what. Perhaps the most difficult to learn. In order to psychologically prepare yourself for such a life position, it makes sense at first to simply monitor these very changing conditions.
For example, accustom yourself to follow the latest trends in fashion, technical innovations, new computer programs. And, based on this, allocate your budget and plan the time. When you get used to being in the know about the latest innovations and living with the times, then this leadership quality will be yours.
Of course, you need to maintain your appearance by 5 points. Make it a rule to buy only items of clothing that emphasize your style. Keep track of your fitness. In general, do your best to look your best.
So to summarize. If you feel yourself in the ranks of those lagging behind, your opinion is far from decisive, you do not have enough attention from colleagues and acquaintances, then it's time to start changing yourself for the better. These tips are just the beginning, they are designed to help you take the first steps towards your own development. And there are so many interesting things along the way, so go for it!
What are leadership qualities?
Many people are interested in how to develop leadership skills, but not everyone knows what it is about and what exactly he is going to develop. A true leader should have such features:
- ability to control emotions
- ability to convince
- ability to correctly plan time
- sincere interest in their work,
- the ability to set the right goals,
- ability to concentrate
- sense of responsibility,
- the ability to motivate yourself and other people,
- faith in oneself and others
- positive thinking
A leader is one who must be able to organize people. But what can one say about a group if a person cannot organize himself? Thus, self-discipline is the foundation of leadership. One who could control himself would cope with others.
It’s worth starting with the banal preparation of the daily routine. It’s not enough for it to be in your head. You need to transfer it to paper and place it in a conspicuous place. When you learn to follow it unquestioningly, without being distracted, without transferring tasks, without being lazy and without losing control, you can say that you have taken the path of leadership.
Take your life in your own hands
A leader is one who can organize and lead people. But in order to spread its influence to others, one must first control oneself. How to develop leadership skills? Stop complaining about external circumstances and blame others for your failures.
The real leader does not complain about the situation, but analyzes it. He is looking for the cause of what is happening in himself (in actions or inaction). He does not put up with troubles, but is looking for ways to get out of this situation. Simply put, to become a leader, you must take an active position and realize your responsibility for everything that happens.
Figure out what you want
Most people prefer to live with the flow. But leaders clearly know what they want and confidently go to their goal. It is in this direction that leadership qualities need to be developed. How can you lead people if you yourself haven’t figured out which direction you want to move?
Many people are afraid to set specific goals. They are afraid of globalism and responsibility (to oneself and others). In addition, the goal requires concentration (that is, the rejection of all the secondary and secondary). Nevertheless, spraying on everything, you will not succeed. Choose a priority direction and, without hesitation, move forward.
Taking the initiative is a great way to develop and strengthen leadership skills. This will teach you to take responsibility and solve complex multi-component problems.
For example, you came up with the idea of organizing an alumni meeting. To do this, you need to find your classmates on social networks, choose the most convenient date for everyone, find a suitable place, plan the menu and the event itself.
Take the initiative as often as possible and set yourself such multi-component tasks. After a while, this will not seem to you something complicated, but will cause excitement and give pleasure.
Learn to delegate responsibilities
A leader is not one who takes all the work upon himself, but one who knows how to correctly distribute responsibilities between subordinates. That is, you need to understand who and what knows how, to whom and what can be trusted, and so on. In this case, it is necessary to ensure high-quality and timely control.
You need to develop this ability in yourself starting from the household level. For example, when planning your housework, don’t do it all yourself. Share tasks between family members. When organizing an event (as in the previous example with a graduate meeting), shift part of the responsibility to those who most enthusiastically greeted your idea.
Get out of your comfort zone
Fear of change or suspense does not combine with leadership. Constantly trying something new is a good option in order to develop leadership skills. The head does not always go according to the scenario. Sometimes he has to move away from standard schemes, find a way out of force majeure situations, master new standards, and so on.
How to teach yourself to adapt to changing conditions? Start small. For example, change the usual route to work, choose a new place to shop, change the daily routine, find yourself some new hobby. Also, think about going on vacation not to the usual "hatched" place, but to some completely unfamiliar resort.
Communication is perhaps the most effective way, giving the opportunity to develop leadership qualities in a child or adult. Only through regular contact with a large number of people (both acquaintances and strangers), you can overcome shyness, develop self-confidence, learn to convey your point of view and listen to others. Also, communication is the only way to know the psychology of people, their types, which you will definitely need if you intend to step on the leadership path.
Think of others
Many people mistakenly understand developed leadership qualities as the ability to achieve their goals. In fact, an effective leader thinks about others, trying to find a solution that will be beneficial to all participants in a given process.
In everyday life and at work, you should not try to bend your opponent to your point of view. This is not a victory (especially if a person is weaker by moral and physical criteria). You must learn to look at the situation from different angles in order to choose the most beneficial solution for everyone.
Move from theory to practice
At the moment, a huge amount of literature is available to people, which contains recommendations on how to develop leadership skills. Numerous trainings are also held which are a success. But reading a book or listening to a lecture is not enough to become a leader.
To come to the desired state, you need to apply the knowledge gained in practice. You should not just take note of every recommendation, every move, but try it in real life. Well, of course, you should not take everything that is written in motivational literature (or heard at the training), for the truth in the highest instance. You should not indiscriminately transfer everything to your life.
Is it possible to develop leadership skills? Of course. Even the most humble and insecure person can become a real leader. But no matter how significant the role of personal qualities may be, they will not be appreciated if they are not supported by complete extensive knowledge regarding your field of activity.
Many people mistakenly believe that the knowledge gained during the training is quite enough. Nevertheless, in order to occupy a high position, you must know many times more than the standard program implies than everyone else knows. We can say that training is a continuous process, because in any field of activity some new rules and trends constantly appear.
Learn to be fair
Are you familiar with a situation where a person with a certain degree of influence, in a controversial situation, takes the side of his pet, friend or relative? So, this has nothing to do with leadership. A true leader in any situation must be objective and make decisions based on fairness.
It would seem that could be easier? But in reality, many people are afraid to spoil relations with loved ones, and therefore "assent" and protect them, even feeling that they are wrong. Thus, if you plan to reach heights, cultivate a sense of justice in yourself from the household level to social and business relations.
Admit Your Mistakes
Nobody likes to lose. But the difference between an ordinary person and a leader is that the latter can accept defeat with dignity and admit his mistakes.
Why is this so important? Every day the leader has to make responsible decisions, on which the fate of the whole team depends. If he made the wrong choice, it’s stupid and pointless to shift the blame on his subordinates and take out his anger on them. Recognizing your flaw, you will not lose credibility, but only strengthen it.
How to develop leadership skills in a teenager
The adolescent period is one of the crucial stages of personality formation. It is at this moment that shyness, shyness and isolation may appear, which completely do not contribute to the achievement of success. Чтобы помочь ребенку стать лидером, родителям нужно придерживаться таких рекомендаций психологов.
- Относитесь к подростку с уважением. Родители должны разговаривать с ним на равных, интересоваться его мнением, просить у него советов. A teenager should feel that in life something and someone depends on him, that he can influence something.
- Get him interested in something. Finding a hobby is a great way to help develop leadership skills. For girls - dancing, for boys - sports. Any hobby stimulates to be better than others.
- Engage the teenager in communication. If you are discussing something with your family, be sure to bring it to the discussion. If guests come home, do not let the teenager sit out in their room.
- Criticize constructively. Many parents sin by criticizing the nature and personal qualities of their children. It’s correct to criticize actions and actions (but not the person). It is also worth forgetting the habit of comparing a child with others. This will not add excitement and "sports anger", but may cause the development of an inferiority complex.
- Give a certain degree of freedom. Approaching the teenage period, you need to gradually wean the child from what you decide and do for him. Let him control his own life (within reasonable limits). Start with small things like clothing style, hobbies and so on.
- Help shape the right attitude towards lesions. Given adolescent maximalism, any failure can be perceived as the end of the world. Your task is to explain to the child that this is an invaluable experience. Together with him, analyze the situation to draw the right conclusions.