This article is co-written by Cristian Macau, DDS. Dr. Macau is a dental surgeon, periodontist and specialist in aesthetic dentistry at the Favero Dental Clinic in London. He received a diploma of a dental surgeon at the Medical University of Karol Davila in 2015.
The number of sources used in this article is 17. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Most smokers complain of yellow teeth. These stains on enamel can cause embarrassment and cause self-doubt. In addition, smoking has other side effects, such as oral health problems. If your smile fades against the background of yellow teeth, do not worry, you are not alone in your problem. There are several ways to make your teeth whiter.
The effect of smoking on dental health
When smoking, several negative factors affect the teeth at the same time. During smoking, tooth enamel is exposed to high temperatures, because of which its protective layer is covered with microcracks, which gradually increase and become the entrance gate for the penetration of bacteria and other microorganisms. The result is caries.
Together with cigarette smoke, tar particles enter the oral cavity, which adhere tightly to the enamel, not only changing its color, but also helping bacteria to stay on the surface of the teeth, further destroying the enamel. Due to particles of tobacco tar on the smoker's teeth, plaque quickly builds up, in which millions of microorganisms are hiding.
But smoking not only directly affects the condition of the teeth, toxic tobacco smoke causes irritation of the oral mucosa, causing irritation and inflammation. The salivary glands produce less saliva, which has cleansing and bactericidal properties, and the oral cavity is deprived of the most important mechanism of protection against damage and infection.
Tooth brightening at home
If you decide to whiten your teeth after smoking at home, you will have to work hard. Regular toothpaste, no matter how good and expensive it is, can never cope with yellow nicotine deposits on its own.
To lighten teeth at home, you can use proven "grandmother's" funds, buy special sets in the pharmacy and, of course, be patient. To achieve a visible effect, you will need to regularly use the selected product for several weeks or more.
This product is able to clean any surface, even your teeth. Sodium bicarbonate easily cleans plaque and restores teeth to their natural color, but this tool should not be abused.
Soda penetrates the enamel, destroying the upper protective layer and the teeth quickly darken again. It is enough to brush your teeth with soda 2-3 times a week and after 10-14 days you will notice the result.
The easiest and safest way to whiten. The berries contain natural whitening elements that help cleanse teeth from yellow plaque. It is enough to rub your teeth with half a berry or brush them with strawberries mashed into gruel and after 1-2 weeks your teeth will lighten.
You can continue this treatment for any period of time, the main thing is not to forget to brush your teeth with paste after strawberry therapy, this will help clean your teeth of sugar that is contained in the berry.
This substance is quite dangerous and can only be used in compliance with all safety regulations. In order not to burn the mucous membrane of the cavity, you can rinse your mouth after smoking with a solution of hydrogen peroxide diluted with water 1: 1 or wipe your teeth with cotton buds dipped in peroxide, but not longer than 5 seconds.
In no case should you swallow peroxide or hold it in your mouth for a long time, so you can get a severe burn of the mucous membrane. Hydrogen peroxide is one of the most effective home remedies, after 5-7 days of regular use, the teeth will become much whiter, but to fix the effect, repeat the procedure for 2-3 weeks in a row. After the use of peroxide, a burning sensation and pain in the teeth may appear, which will pass on its own.
Getting rid of a smoker's plaque under the supervision of a doctor
Getting rid of plaque in dentistry guarantees effective tooth enamel whitening and, which attracts most smokers, "does not require any effort from the patient. All that is required of you is to come to the procedure and endure not always pleasant manipulations and, of course, pay for it.
Want to know how to whiten your teeth after smoking under the supervision of a doctor? This can be done using several methods:
- Ultrasonic cleaning - One of the most effective and safest way to get rid of plaque. Ultrasound penetrates deep into the calcareous deposits and destroys them, without damaging the enamel. After cleaning, the residues of plaque are removed from the enamel surface and a special polishing is carried out, which helps protect teeth from plaque formation.
- Professional whitening - Helps to change the color of enamel due to its saturation with ions or coating of enamel with a special substance.
- Artificial constructions - sometimes home remedies or special whitening are not able to return the pristine whiteness to the teeth. In such situations, the use of veneers or other artificial structures can help.
To keep your teeth white and healthy, you need to not only periodically bleach, but also observe the following rules:
- brush your teeth at least 2 times a day, thoroughly cleaning all surfaces of the teeth and spending at least 5 minutes on the procedure,
- use constantly therapeutic paste and periodically alternating it with a special whitening paste - for 3 months we brush our teeth with ordinary paste and 1 month with a special whitening paste,
- limit the consumption of strong tea, coffee, carbonated drinks and other products that cough tooth enamel,
- reduce the consumption of foods containing a high concentration of sugar,
- quit smoking - only completely quitting smoking can achieve whiteness of the teeth, otherwise you will have to whiten constantly, and the result will be worse every year.
More whitening videos
Not sure how to whiten your teeth after smoking? Use the most popular folk remedies or find out what procedures modern dentistry can offer you.
The use of the recommendations posted in this article and the associated obtaining of the desired result are associated with unknown risks. The decision on the application of these recommendations is at your own risk.
WANT TO STOP SMOKING?
Then you need a cigarette quitting strategy.
Using it will be much easier to quit.
Method 1 Teeth Whitening at Home
- 1 Develop a habit of brushing your teeth. If you follow all the rules of oral hygiene, then you can confidently deal with all the consequences of smoking that are visible on your teeth. You should brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste and a soft brush. Floss your teeth daily, especially before going to bed. You must definitely go through all the teeth, the thread should go between all the teeth. After you have brushed and brushed your teeth with floss, you can rinse your mouth with a special mouthwash.
- In order to speed up the process of brushing your teeth, buy an electric toothbrush. Such toothbrushes brush their teeth more thoroughly than conventional toothbrushes.
- 2 Rinse your mouth with water after smoking. This way you can reduce the damage that nicotine does to your teeth. When you smoke, your teeth darken due to particles of nicotine, which have a negative effect. If you rinse your teeth with water, then the effect of such particles is reduced
- 3 Use baking soda to clean your teeth. Soda acts like a mild abrasive that cleans teeth. Mix one tablespoon of soda with two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. You can apply such a mixture on your teeth with your fingertips. Or use a toothbrush to brush your teeth with this tool. Brush your teeth thoroughly for 3-5 minutes. Then rinse your mouth with water.
- Thus, you can brush your teeth every day for a week, and then brush your teeth 2-3 times a week with this tool until you have cleaned all the stains from the teeth.
- 4 Use whitening gels. Whitening gels are sold with special inserts for the teeth and with syringes filled with whitening gel. Brush your teeth, then drop 8-10 drops of whitening gel into special inserts for the teeth. Insert them into your mouth, bite with your teeth. Wipe off excess gel on your lips and keep such inserts from 30 minutes to four hours, depending on the recommendations on the packaging
- If you do not use the gel, then keep it in the refrigerator. Follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Rinse tooth inserts with warm water after use.
- 5 Use whitening strips. Like whitening gel, these strips help whiten teeth without a dentist. Follow the guidelines for using whitening strips. Set the strips on the upper teeth, then install on the back teeth. Do the same on the lower teeth. Leave them as long as indicated on the package.
- Do not touch the inside of the strips with your fingers.
- 6 Eat fruits and vegetables that are natural bleaches. There are a number of products that whiten teeth naturally due to their properties. Among these products:
- Strawberry: Strawberry contains malic acid, which naturally whitens teeth. Crush some berries and brush your teeth with flesh. Rinse off with water after five minutes.
- Apples, carrots, and celery help reproduce more saliva, which in turn helps fight tooth darkening. Green apples, like strawberries, contain malic acid.
- 7 Stop smoking. The best way to restore the whiteness of your teeth is to quit smoking. Despite all the tricks and tricks that you have to go to whiten your teeth, you have to fight it all your life. Therefore, talk with your doctor about how you can quit smoking.
Method 2 Visit the Dentist
You should visit your dentist regularly, especially if your teeth get dark. Your dentist may advise you to whiten your teeth at home or may recommend professional whitening.
- 1 Your teeth should be clean. The dentist brushes his teeth in a special way. Tartar removal is a professional toothbrushing that you simply need. The dentist will clean the stone with teeth with special tools. However, even after such brushing, a yellowish coating may remain on your teeth.
- Dentist cleans tartar with special electric cleaners and water. Then the teeth are polished with a special tool.
- 2 Whiten your teeth. This process will take some time; you will visit the dentist several times. During your visits, special whitening components are applied to the teeth. Blue light will be sent to the teeth for 5-15 minutes. Blue light and whitening components whiten your teeth together.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco, or drink coffee or tea for at least 48 hours after teeth whitening.
- 3 Talk with your dentist about putting the porcelain cover facet on your teeth if none of the methods help. This coating will give your smile a natural shine.
The effect of smoking on teeth
The damage to the health of the oral cavity is caused immediately by three factors. It:
- The effect of toxic resins.
- The effect of high temperatures.
- Irritation from tobacco burning products.
It becomes scary just from one glance at the list of substances that enter the smoker's body: ammonia, phenol, methane, carbon monoxide, nicotine.
Chronic, long non-healing cracks, excessive growth of gum tissue, severe periodontal disease - a smoking lover can experience these “charms” at any time.
If you are not worried about a smoker's teeth plaque and changes due to its accumulation of enamel shade, consider the following. Cigarette smoke and tar cause a gradual decrease in the amount of salivary glands in the mouth.
Bottom line: in a decade, a state of chronic dryness and burning will develop, since there is not enough saliva to moisten the oral cavity. It is impossible to cure this condition. Doctors in such cases diagnose a patient with xerostomia. Fighting the disease is possible only at the level of temporary relief of symptoms.
Cigarette - the enemy of dental health
Lovers of a drag on a cigarette have every chance of developing gingivitis (inflammation of the gingival space near the tooth), which quickly turns into periodontitis (inflammation of the gums, leading to bone loss and tooth loss).
Smokers go to the doctor complaining of suspicious symptoms much later than ordinary people: they have periodontitis in a special way. If a non-smoker in the initial stages of periodontitis gums bleed and hurt, which causes a visit to the clinic and timely action, then the smoker does not suffer from bleeding.
Nicotine acts on blood vessels, contributing to their compression. There is no soreness, no tendency to bleeding either - the smoker thinks that everything is in order with him. But at this time there are pathological processes. The gums and teeth are destroyed, and a visit to the dentist in the late stages of periodontitis or periodontal disease no longer guarantees a cure. We’ll have to think no longer about how to remove plaque, but about how to preserve the remaining teeth and put dentures.
Types of plaque
The formation of plaque is a normal process that proceeds constantly. At the first stage, it even performs protective functions, protecting the enamel from external factors.
At home, it can be removed with floss. If this is not done, it gradually hardens, mineralizes, turning into tartar. It’s impossible to whiten teeth with such deposits at home. Professional cleaning required. Smokers' teeth are easily overgrown with such fossils.
Signs and consequences of a raid
Not always plaque has a white tint. Color varies according to circumstances. Let's see what the plaque happens and why it occurs:
- Yellow. The color is due to the frequent use of sweets. Microparticles of food penetrate deep into white plaque and change its color. Those who love buns and sweets often observe such a raid. Cigarettes have the same effect: smoker's teeth are almost always yellow. Fans of strong coffee, cool brewed black tea also often suffer from such a raid.
- Gray. The reason is in enamel hypoplasia. The disease must be treated by a dentist. Cope with it with modern methods is easy.
- Brown. This color is worn by smokers with experience. First, a yellow film appears on the crowns, then it darkens. The result: a stable, dark color coating that can only be removed by hygienic cleaning and bleaching. Another cause of brown plaque is a metabolic disease of the gastrointestinal tract. Sometimes the crowns with which the dilapidated teeth are covered are made with an admixture of copper - then the plaque acquires a brownish tint.
- Green. This color is possible in children. Sometimes adults also suffer - due to the destruction of enamel.
- The black. With this raid, doctors recommend checking the condition of the biliary tract, as well as excluding the presence of parasites in the body.Plaque is removed in the dentist's office.
Whatever the color of the coating, if not removed, it is mineralized. After 10 days, it is already hard tartar. Whitening pastes and other home remedies can not cope with it.
There are 2 types of stone:
- supragingival (in open places of teeth),
- subgingival (in a pocket, on a neck of a tooth).
Fresh subgingival plaque can be removed with a toothbrush, but subgingival plaque can only be cleaned using professional treatment methods.
How to remove tooth deposits
Provided that the plaque is not older than 10 days, you can try to lighten the crowns at home. Folk methods can clean deposits that were formed as a result of eating soft foods and were not promptly destroyed with a toothpaste brush. Traditional medicine recommendations - use:
- baking soda
- citrus juice
- Activated carbon,
- hydrogen peroxide,
- whitening strips.
We note immediately: if, periodically conducting these procedures, you continue to smoke, the effect will either not be at all, or it will be short-lived. Of course, teeth can become half a tone lighter, but they will not be able to completely get rid of a shade of yellow or brown.
Speaking of citrus, they usually mean lemon.
The recipes are as follows:
- small black radish (1 piece),
- lemon fruit (one).
Squeeze the lemon juice. Add grated radish to it. You don’t need to brush your teeth with a mixture: they just chew it three times a day.
The second recipe involves periodic chewing of lemon peel. If you perform the procedure 1-2 times a day a week, the teeth will noticeably whiten.
Before using this technique, visit your dentist to make sure: teeth without cavities, gums are healthy, tooth crowns without damage.
With coal, everything is simple. We buy a plate of coal in a pharmacy, put 2-3 tablets into a container and grind them to the state of crumbs. The resulting mixture is brushing your teeth.
Do not forget: particles of coal (the principle of its action is similar to the action of baking soda: abrasive particles scrape off plaque) remain in the interdental spaces. Therefore, after the session, we brush our teeth with a paste.
A good tool is strips soaked in a special composition that helps remove plaque. The strips contain hydrogen peroxide, which is also used by dentists for professional cleaning (as part of gels), but at a much lower concentration. Therefore, plaque is removed, and enamel will not be harmed.
After using the strips, remove the remaining gel and rinse your mouth. Do not use strips at night: they must be removed before bedtime.
When is the time for the dentist
Doctors insist that patients visit them at least once a year, regardless of whether something bothers them. The appearance of a plaque of any color that cannot be removed using ordinary paste and especially the methods proposed above requires contacting the clinic out of plan, that is, before the expiration of a year after the last visit.
It is believed that only cigars or cigarettes provoke plaque, and smoking, for example, hookah does not affect the color change of enamel. This is not so: a hookah provokes the appearance of plaque, and it forms even faster than if you smoke regular cigarettes. Reason: The cigarette filter delays part of the harmful pitches. But the hookah does not have this filter.
Photo of a raid by smokers
If you still have doubts about quitting smoking or while still allowing yourself to calm your nerves in this way, take a look at the photo: here is an image of a fan’s teeth to lift.
Impressive? Do you really want to have teeth of the same “pleasant” dark brown shade?
Plaque on the teeth of a cigarette lover
Some people think that plaque can be prevented if you brush your teeth after smoking or if you sometimes bleach them with home remedies.
Such methods cannot be considered reliable prevention: a smoker's plaque will still remain and it can only be removed by bleaching in the dentist's office.
But what about electronic cigarettes? Perhaps it makes sense to switch to them? Indeed, if you do not smoke, but soar, the harmful effects of combustion products are excluded. But, firstly, electronic cigarettes still emit hazardous substances, and secondly, hot steam passed through the teeth destroys the enamel. You will not see a pronounced plaque, but there is no benefit for the teeth.
Dr. Zubastik's recommendations
I can give only the simplest advice: quit smoking. There are a lot of folk ways to whiten teeth, and dentistry does not stand still, but no matter how much you scrape away the plaque, it will constantly appear, along with bad breath, forcing you to spend considerable amounts on professional whitening. Throw a cigarette: it has not yet benefited anyone, but there are a great many victims of it.
If the above arguments did not convince you, watch the video. It will help you quit smoking forever.
Typically, toothache begins to subside already on the way to the clinic and finally passes after 10 minutes of sitting in line for a appointment with the dentist.